IP Space

Clayton Lambert Clay at exodus.net
Wed Oct 25 15:49:03 EDT 2000

What I am refering to as non-vendor specific is just that: it is wrong to
create a public policy that addresses specific limitations with SPECIFIC
vendor's software.  What this means is that wrapping the policy around MS is
wrong and it provides an unfair advantage for that vendor, in comparison to
that vendors competitors.  I am not suggesting that a policy be created that
does not take into accound the overall availability of compatible solutions
(i.e. all/most the vendors in a given arena).

I agree with your statement that:

"I believe that any policy you set must account for the reality of what's
available (commercially and free) to the vast majority of web sites on
the Internet.  Setting a policy that can't be followed by users of
Apache, Netscape and IIS, for starters, is completely unreasonable, and
I would oppose such a policy vigorously."

I would also oppose such a policy.  I do NOT see the documentation
requirement, nor the HTTP1.1 policy in general as a policy that cannot be
supported by the majority of users.

-Clayton