IP Space

Ted Pavlic tpavlic at netwalk.com
Wed Oct 18 06:37:48 EDT 2000

I believe you're very much mistaken. I think you are misrepresenting your
configuration to us.

SSL cannot exchange "Host:" header information because that "Host:" header
information occurs *AFTER* the keys are exchanged and data starts to be
encrypted. This means that there is no way to tell the server to use a
different key based on a different host.

If you *THINK* you've configured SSL to work with name-based hosting, you
should probably go to a few of your SSL sites and look at the cert. that was
give to the browser. You will probably find that *EVERY* SSL site has been
giving out the *SAME* CERT.

This is a problem that has been recognized by SSL web server developers as
well as ARIN. If you take a look at ARIN's name_based page,

http://www.arin.net/announcements/name_based_hosting.html

you shall see that ARIN references IETF drafts (which is *VERY*
inappropriate and just very poor) which talk about doing HTTP/1.1 over TLS.
In order to do HTTP/1.1 name-based hosting properly, a web browser should
have to connect to a port (like 80) on a server, exchange Host: header
information, and then "UPGRADE" to TLS after Host: header information has
been exchanged. This will exchange the correct certs and turn that port into
a secure one.

All the best --
Ted