FW: We disagree with recent restrictions on ip allocation aimed at attacking the "littlehosts"

Mike Lieberman Mike at netwright.net
Thu Aug 3 12:26:13 EDT 2000

You are right, it is not a trivial matter and the cost of the
software/hardware to accommodate the change is minimal. There is a
significant personnel resource issue, especially for large vendors, to make
the change go seamlessly, but that's life I guess.

As SSL certificates require separate IP addresses, I assume (probably
incorrectly) that whose sights will be able to use separate IP assignments.
Further as FTP sites also don't at this time use the Host Header, IP
assignments will continue to be made for those sites.

The real impact will be on those vendors who used their IP assignments to
justify larger IP assignments and would no longer qualify for them under the
new plan. Since that impacts on BGP routing, the real result beyond
conserving IP (hard to argue with that) is the inability of smaller companies
to multi-home between vendors should their IP needs shrink to a /27 or /28
(or /30)!

/* Mike Lieberman                            Mike at NetWright.Net */
/*                         President                            */
/*                       Net Wright LLC                         */
/*                   http://www.netwright.net/                  */
/*                 Voice and Fax: 307-857-1053                  */