We disagree with recent restrictions on ip allocation aimed at attacking the "littlehosts"

Len Rose len at netsys.com
Thu Aug 3 11:25:16 EDT 2000

Dear AveHost.com Staff:

The internet is constantly evolving. In order to remain on
the internet, we all have to evolve.

It's an unfortunate byproduct of that evolution that the
threshold or "bar" gets raised every 6 months or so.

Whether or not that unfairly impacts smaller operations
is more of a technical issue and somewhat less of a
financial issue.

I used to be a rabid "virtual webhosting based on IP is best"
kind of person when I was wearing a systems-oriented hat,
but if you examine same from a networking viewpoint you
should consider it evil to waste so much IP address space
on $9.95 web sites.

(yes, I made a gross stereotype)

If your business model is dependent on ip-based hosting
then you need to raise some more capital and buy someone
who owns a few /16's.

The real question will be how things evolve after IPv4
ceases to be a barrier.

Just my opinion or whatever you see fit to call it! I
strongly debated about even copying this to policy@
but this thread looks like it's turning into a non-useful
ping pong match.

Len

On Thu, Aug 03, 2000 at 11:16:25AM -0400, AveHost.com Staff wrote:

> Once again, because the smaller hosts don't have all the technology needed
> to route the way the larger hosts do, I stated this previously.  It is quite
> obvious that this is an unfair advantage to the larger hosts.
>
> AveHost.com Staff

[trimmed]