too many routes

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Sun Sep 14 13:58:08 EDT 1997

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997, Jon Lewis wrote:

> How do the rules of rfc2050 apply though when you have a hierarchy of
> providers and customers, where often the customer is a provider?  i.e.
> picture the food chain I'm part of.  UUNet provides a T1 and 2 /20 blocks
> to FDT (an ISP).  Should UUNet give FDT address space based on the 25%/50%
> rule or the "slow-start" procedure?  FDT provides T1 service to several
> smaller ISP's.  Do we allocate space for them using the 25/50 rule or the
> slow-start rule?  These smaller ISP's that feed from us have customers
> using multiple IP's (selling web space to others).  Do they [the smaller
> ISPs] assign space to their customers using 25/50 or slow-start?

I don't think I ever saw a reply to this, and the answers (if there are
official ones) to the above questions are likely to be of considerable
importance to me very soon.

Are there answers, or is rfc2050 open to interpretation by the top level
providers...or is it not even relevant to their dealings with their
customers?

 Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
 Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
 Florida Digital Turnpike    |