too many routes

Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU
Wed Sep 10 15:29:24 EDT 1997

On Tue, 09 Sep 1997 23:41:50 EDT, Jon Lewis said:
> How do the rules of rfc2050 apply though when you have a hierarchy of
> providers and customers, where often the customer is a provider?  i.e.
> picture the food chain I'm part of.  UUNet provides a T1 and 2 /20 blocks
> to FDT (an ISP).  Should UUNet give FDT address space based on the 25%/50%
> rule or the "slow-start" procedure?  FDT provides T1 service to several

That's for UUNet and for you to decide.  Remember, the *REGISTRY* only
did *one* allocation - to UUNet.  It does so based on RFC2050 (plus
whatever other policies they create above and beyond that).  What UUNet
and FDT do is market-driven.  It is *intended* that they sub-delegate
address space to their customers, possibly repeatedly (as in your case).

On Wed, 10 Sep 97 02:53:05, Joseph T. Klein said:

> If I am to build a network to 5 major meet  points and contract with
> UUNET, and MCI for transit, why should I put up with the InetrNIC or
> ARIN telling me  that  I must  get   a block  of addresses from   an
> upstream??! How the do you expect to establish new backbones without
> a loophole for new providers to get a /19 >and  an ASN? Even to anty
> up to do this, we are in the 1 Million $$$ range.

To run a sucessful startup, you gotta be capitalized. Life sucks.  I am
sure that *IF YOU COME IN WITH A BUSINESS PLAN*, including capital sources,
projected hookups, and the like, the guys at ARIN will be willing to listen.
But seriously - anybody who's shelling out for interconnects at 5 different
meet points had *BETTER* have enough business lined up to fill a /19,
or you're going to go *broke* shelling out to UUNET and MCI for the lines.

A /19 is only 8K addresses. If you don't have a business plan to get
enough to fill a /19 (and due to subnetting etc, you may be able to
get close to full on 4K actual allocated or even less), not getting a /19
from ARIN is the least of your worries. Cash Flow is probably the biggest.

--
				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Senior Engineer