Global council of registries???

Justin W. Newton justin at EROLS.COM
Fri May 2 12:53:51 EDT 1997

At 06:59 PM 4/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>On Monday, April 28, 1997 10:57 AM, Michael Dillon[SMTP:michael at MEMRA.COM]
wrote:
>@ On Mon, 28 Apr 1997, Rudolph J. Geist wrote:
>@
>@ > It is highly suspicious to maintain that technical information (or any
>@ > information for that matter) regarding the allocation of IP address
>@ > blocks, a finite public resource (like telephone numbers or radio
>@ > spectrum), should be held proprietary by a monopoly outgrowth (ARIN) of
>@ > another monolpoly (Internic).
>@
>@ First, ARIN is not a monopoly, it is a non-profit organization that will
>@ be run by its members and eventually funded by its members.
>@
>@ Second, did you consult with the members of the USIPA before making such a
>@ shocking statement? For instance, would Erol's be willing to publicly
>@ disclose all the details of its network connections including all of its
>@ downstream customer networks? Have you asked those downstream customers
>@ how they would feel if their network information was publicly available
>@ to their competitors.
>@
>
>What about the flip-side....?????
>
>Is everyone supposed to give this information to
>ARIN and then find out that someone from Erols
>or another "East Coast" ISP or the ISP/C is off
>discussing this information on the ISP mailing lists ?

Jim, if you are going to make backhand accusations against me, I will have
to ask for proof.  This is not the first time that you have done this, and
you have never provided a single example.  Anything that I have ever said
about anyone publically has been information that was gathered publically,
off of mailing lists, web sites, and PUBLIC meetings (such as NANOG
presentations or IETF working group sessions), or information about
something which I am working on and the information was not publically
available yet.  Either provide an example, or get off the pot, I am tired
of your accusations.

Justin Newton
Network Architect
Erol's Internet Services            http://www.erols.com