Let us all bend over, apply the Vaseline...

Michael Dillon michael at MEMRA.COM
Thu May 1 13:54:52 EDT 1997

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Jim Fleming wrote:

> Why not move some of the IP allocation functions
> for ISPs to the ISP/C ?

The ISP/C is a trade association for ISPs. It would not be appropriate for
such an organization to do IP allocation for all of North America. People
tend to forget that ISPs are not the only users of IP addresses. There are
also large universities and companies that use significant block of IPv4
addresses.

> The ISP/C is already set up. It is a non-profit 501(c)
> AND...most importantly...it has experts that can
> handle the job and that ISPs can trust...

Wrong. The ISP/C is not a 501(c) and it does not have experts that can
handle the job. And you will note that in this press release
http://www.ispc.org/press/19970207.html the ISP/C fully supports the
formation of ARIN. I expect that ISPs who trust us would also fully
support ARIN.

The bottom line is track record.  Not track tearing.  Not track derailing.
But pounding the damn dirt around the track with the rest of us worms.
       -- Randy Bush