Let us all bend over, apply the Vaseline...

Michael Dillon michael at MEMRA.COM
Thu May 1 12:39:38 EDT 1997

On Thu, 1 May 1997, Bob Atkins wrote:

> Again, you are coming from that large ISP point of view. Please read
> carefully: Large ISPs are out to dominate the marketplace. They have
> no interest in supporting smaller ISPs. So lets not even talk about
> that anymore because you obviously do not understand that very
> fundamental aspect of this business.

I was going to explain this but since you don't want to talk about it any
more, I will honor your wishes.

> May I ask how long you have been in this business and what your degree
> and/or experience is in?

I started my region's first ISP in August 1994 and since that time I have
done technical and consulting work for several small ISPs in Canada, the
USA, England and Australia. If you want more details, look at my website.
In this town of 40,000 I did systems analysis, applications development,
etc. for the largest and fastest growing companies in the area until I got
into the ISP business.

> How many businesses have you started? How many people rely on your
> business to pay their rent?

Three different businesses, the first one in 1987. Two were with partners
and had as many as 6 employees.

> My guess is that you have either recently came from a University
> environment either as a graduate or as a staff member.

I'm a university dropout who never completed a bachelor's degree. But I
have always enjoyed learning new things and spend a lot of time and my own
money doing research into things that interest me. Like the Internet.

> ARIN is a centralized IP address registery for North America pure and
> simple.

Yes, nice and simple. Everyone will know where to go for IP address
allocations. We won't have the costs of coordinating too many IP
registries.

> I'm not saying that the present situation with NSI is any good either
> but what I am seeing is just another NSI spinoff. While ARIN would
> be an improvement over NSI that doesn't mean that it is that much
> better. ARIN is a completely centralized organization. The functions
> of IP registery and root server functions need to be separted. What
> is left will require far less to support than what is currently
> proposed.

ARIN won't be operating root nameservers. Where did you get this idea.

Quite frankly, your messages are a stream of one unsubstantiated
accusation after another. You accuse ARIN of doing all kinds of things
that it is *NOT* doing. And then you pull numbers out of the air about how
much you would charge to host a server, or how many ISPs you think would
do business with ARIN and claim that the 3500 ISPs in North America should
do as you say, just because.

This is ludicrous. Why should everyone follow you? What qualifications do
you have? To most of us you are a complete unknown who has just popped
onto this list and is now claiming that they have the answers to
everything if only we would trust you.

Let's put it this way, either put up or shut up. Stop wasting everybody's
time with these ludicrous claims of yours. If there is any substance to
them you will be able to produce a detailled budget with complete
justifications for each line item. If you are unwilling to even take the
time to do serious work, then go away and shut up.

The bottom line is track record.  Not track tearing.  Not track derailing.
But pounding the damn dirt around the track with the rest of us worms.
       -- Randy Bush