Let us all bend over, apply the Vaseline...

Bob Atkins bob at DigiLink.Net
Thu May 1 01:00:15 EDT 1997

> On Wed, 30 Apr 1997, Bob Atkins wrote:
>
> > Today it will be $2500, which I already consider ridiculously high.
> >
> > Tomorrow what will it be?
>
> Judging by the precedent of RIPE and APNIC, the fee will drop in the
> second year. My estimat is that it will fall to between $1900 and $2100
> in the second year and then fall to around $1800 in the third year.

Ha! Wishfull thinking. I sincerely doubt that ARIN will ever reduce the
fees but I am confident that they will probably increase.  A monopoly,
whether non-profit or for-profit has *absolutely* no incentive to lower
prices *or* reduce their backend costs. They have a captive market and
no other authority to hold them accountable.

> > The idea of paying such a high recurring cost for IP space is absurd
> > and only goes to justify a bloated $3M annual budget.
>
> The companies who will be paying these fees will have annual budgets that
> are larger than ARIN's. They can afford it.

You just made the point that I am trying to make. ARIN will serve to
squash smaller ISPs.

> > I'm not suggesting that the IP registery remain with NSI either.
>
> So why don't you put in a bid for it then. Please submit full details of
> capital and other expenses for the first year of operation in a form
> that can be verified by the members of this list.

I may very well do this however, since it isn't likely receive any serious
consideration I can't say it will be on the top of my priority list.

---
Bob Atkins, President			| bob at digilink.net
Digilink Network Services		| http://www.DigiLink.Net/
Switched ISDN Internet Access		| mailto:info at DigiLink.Net
310-577-9450		"Our business is your network"
The man who follows the crowd will usually get no further than the
crowd.  The man who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no
one has ever been.
                -- Alan Ashley-Pitt