[bdinet] RE: Registration of Top Level Domain for Bangladesh

David R. Conrad davidc at APNIC.NET
Mon Mar 31 02:47:09 EST 1997

Jim

Are you being intentionally exasperating or this just part of
your personality?

>Here is an international example of why the people that
>handle IP allocations and domain names should be part
>of the same regional registry.

Huh?  No it's not.

>Despite people's claims that IP allocations and domain
>name issues are not in any way related,

They aren't.

>we can see
>above that they are related because Internet infrastructure
>is hard to establish and if these two critical functions are
>separated inefficiencies and disputes can arise.

Huh?  Establishing the .BD top level domain (what my mail to the
BDINET list was in response to) has nothing to do with address
allocation.  Establishing the .BD TLD has been delayed due to several
factors, none of which involve APNIC.  My mail was merely an attempt
to encourage the establishment of a neutral organization to handle the
.BD TLD.

>This is why ARIN (http://www.arin.net) makes no sense.

Huh?  The issues are *completely* unrelated.

>Instead, the numerous TLD registries being created by
>the eDNS efforts (http://www.edns.net) should be allowed
>to step in (if they choose to) and handle some of the
>IP address allocation duties.

And how would these competitive registries coordinate?

>If the InterNIC model is cloned in various locations around
>the world,

I'm not sure the "InterNIC model" was such a success -- NSI
(registrations) seems to have become the Internet's equivalent of
Darth Vader, AT&T doesn't appear to be very active, and GA had their
part of the cooperative agreement pulled.  Why exactly do you want to
clone this structure again?

>then discussions like those above will have
>an obvious agency where the people should turn.

You know this.  They already do, it is called the IANA.

Regards,
-drc

P.S. To those who have requested I ignore Jim, I must point out that
the rumored (via Gordon Cook) issues that may be impacting the
creation of ARIN are likely directly related to the misinformation,
lies, and insinuations of people like Jim Fleming.  It would appear
necessary to provide true information to combat Jim's persistent
fantasies.