Blah blah is right.....

Larry Honig lonewolf at DRIVEWAY1.COM
Sat Mar 29 17:33:37 EST 1997

Jim Fleming wrote:

> If more companies had been allowed to develop
> more Registry Industy Infrastructure during the
> past 18 months, rather than debate how many
> IAHCs or ARINs can dance on the head of a pin,
> then we would all be much further, at least here in
> the U.S.

This is purely conjectural. It seems to me, rather, that no entity would
have achieved the critical mass needed to become the authoritative
reference which permits little folks like my Aunt Sue to cruise the net
and look at the latest and greatest thing from "coke.com" or "uiuc.edu".
You may, for your own reasons, wish to inhabit a world where standards
do not exist, or where you, Jim Fleming, can personally establish them
by fiat. (It seems to me that much of your argument can be lumped into
the "sour grapes - why NIC/ARIN/whoever and not *ME* *ME* ME*"
category), but aside from that, I fail to see two important things which
you claim to be self-evident (and NEVER spell out in a concise reply,
without burying your intent in "see this RFC" "look at this page")

a) exactly where do you see "billions" of annual dollars in the registry
business coming from, (and why this should be seen as a good thing and
not a useless transfer of wealth to a new class of middlemen) and

b) how will the many actual end-users of existing registry services be
*persuaded* (that is, not *mandated* by you or anyone else) to use the
plethora of sixty zillion new registries?

Have you ever read the part about the Tower of Babel?

/Larry

also known to his slavish minions as .... "/0"