RE $50 Million NSF windfall??

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Thu Mar 13 14:27:26 EST 1997

On Thursday, March 13, 1997 3:48 AM, Michael Dillon[SMTP:michael at MEMRA.COM] wrote:
@ On Wed, 12 Mar 1997, Jim Fleming wrote:
@
@ > Yes Michael, that is a strong statement from a Canadian
@ > with apparently no concern for:
@ >
@ > 	1. The national defense of the U.S.
@
@ It is in the national defense interests of the USA for the Internet to
@ exist, for it to operate reliably and for all nations to cooperate in
@ managing the infrastructure. Defense is about preventing wars and the
@ escalation that leads up to them. Good communications and strong economic
@ ties between nations are good for the defense of the United States. And
@ Canada. And most other places too.
@

[agreed]

That is why these matters are being handled by government
officials. Can you direct people to the officials or agencies
in Canada that would be addressing these issues?

I understand the Canadian Department of Communications
no longer exists or has been combined with some other
agency. Any help that you can provide would I am sure be
useful to the U.S. Government officials that are working in
these areas.

The Canadian situation has been hard to track. Canada appeared
to be on the road to building Internet infrastructure but then
turned back several months ago when it closed its IP Adddress
Allocation facility. It is too bad that this set back occurred.

@ > 	3. World economic development issues which must be
@ > 		dove-tailed with U.S. foreign policies. ARIN
@ > 		can not hope to track these issues and I can
@ > 		not imagine that the U.S. Government wants
@ > 		its citizens and U.S. businesses to discover
@ > 		that it is easier to get IP addresses as a dictator
@ > 		on an island in the Caribbean than as the CEO
@ > 		of an ISP.
@
@ Under the ARIN plan, the dictator of an island in the Caribbean would have
@ no special status and would have to get IP addresses from his upstream
@ provider just like the high-school kid in Cincinnati who has permission
@ from his parents to put 4 modems in his bedroom and start an ISP.
@

Who does the ARIN plan favor ?

Please do not point to some RFC. Some U.S. Government
people would not know an RFC from the IRS if it walked
up and said hello.

BTW, since you post from "memra.com", you might be
interested to know that some U.S. Government officials
"think" that a company using a .COM domain is a U.S.
based company. They have been mislead that Canadian
companies use .CA and that the Internet is all very orderly
to prevent the potential problems you describe above.

Some people would like to see .COM restricted to U.S.
companies. If this does not occur, then the TLDs become
rather meaningless and we might as well have companies
that sell fish nets registering in .NET and more web sites
such as http://this.is/the_ultimate_URL from Iceland.

The point ? As the Internet expands, it is important to
educate everyone that domain names can not be used
to verify anything and Government officials have to
return to some of their traditional decision making tools
because I do not think that some countries want just
any old body walking in to help them organize their
Internet infrastructure. Most countries prefer to invite
people for those roles.

@ > 	5. The value of the IP Address Registry industry to U.S.
@ > 		citizens in terms of jobs, etc. This along with
@ > 		the domain name registry business is a
@ > 		multi-billion dollar per year industry and the
@ > 		U.S. is not going to allow that to walk away.
@
@ Then you must support the plan to transfer IP allocation services to ARIN
@ in Fairfax County, VA with the same staff (i.e. jobs) being maintained.
@

No, if you have read the InterNIC 2000 information
you will see that the proposal is to clone 10 Regional
InterNICs in the U.S. before September 1998. The
current InterNIC in Fairfax County Virginia would
become the InterNIC for Region III in September of
1998.

The Regions are based on the SBA Regions and
are shown below:

Region I - Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts,
New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont
Region II - New Jersey, New York,
Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands
Region III - Delaware, District of Columbia,
Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia
Region IV - Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky,
Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee
Region V - Illinois, Indiana, Michigan,
Minnesota, Ohio, Wisconsin
Region VI - Arkansas, Louisiana,
New Mexico, Oklahoma, Texas
Region VII - Iowa, Kansas,
Missouri, Nebraska
Region VIII - Colorado, Montana, North Dakota,
South Dakota, Utah, Wyoming
Region IX - Arizona, California,
Guam, Hawaii, Nevada
Region X - Alaska, Idaho,
Oregon, Washington

As a side note, ARIN is a waste of tax payers money
and I am not sure why you spend so much time dropping
in from Canada to try to organize it and to help develop
the web site.

I also do not understand why the ISP/C, an IRS approved
non-profit U.S. company organized in the State of
Minnesota has apparently followed your advice [as one
of their Board members] to follow ARIN.

Have you ever considered applying for U.S. Citizenship?

@ > "U.S. government oversight of ARIN is attempted..."
@ >
@ > Do you own ARIN ?
@ > Are you compensated by Network Solutions, Inc. ?
@
@ No, and no.
@
@ > Maybe this should be reversed. Any attempt by ARIN
@ > to walk off with the /8s that belong to the U.S. Government,
@ > the DOD, and/or the U.S. taxpayers will bring ARIN into
@ > a spotlight brightter than anything you probably have
@ > ever seen out there in British Columbia.
@
@ Fortunately ARIN has no such plans. The only group that does appear to
@ have such plans is the one you have recently started.
@

Which /8 does ARIN propose to manage ?

@ > You often seem proud that you do not own a T.V. and
@ > live in an isolated area with very few neighbors.
@
@ > Where do you get these visions up there isolated
@ > in Canada ?
@
@ People who don't watch TV have a lot more time to read. You can learn more
@ about what is going on in the world by reading newspapers and magazines
@ and even some Internet content. Also, we have CBC radio available which is
@ the best information source in the world.
@

Great...if you ever get a chance to watch any of the C-SPAN
channels you might note that many of these same issues
being debated here are being discussed there by live people
who make real decisions.

@ > Your gross oversimplification of these complex problems will not likely
@ > play well in Canada and I can certainly tell you that it will not get
@ > far down here in the U.S.
@
@ When explaining something to people who don't have a lot of background
@ information it is often useful to write a summary that explains the key
@ elements and provides a framework that the details can be plugged in as
@ the reader learns more. There is nothing gross about this.
@

Yes...and as I said above, those same people might
also not understand that people writing from .COM
domains are not U.S. Citizens.

Now, they might assume that most people would be
polite and only comment on government decisions where
they have been invited, as people in the U.S. Government
have discoverd, these basic social skills are not wide-spread
on the Internet.

As a result, it is a shame that input from U.S. citizens is
now highly discounted and in some cases thrown out.
U.S. citizens must still use the traditional communication
tools to get things done.

@ In the future when you are writing messages to put one over on the
@ bureaucrats in the National Science Foundation, it would be nice if you
@ would not include us in the address list since we are smart enough to