RE $50 Million NSF windfall??

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Wed Mar 12 16:54:14 EST 1997

On Wednesday, March 12, 1997 6:57 AM, Mark
Richmond[SMTP:markr at LIGHTSPEED.NET] wrote:
@ I noted with interest todd Wallaces' article on page one of Network World
this week (3/10/97).  The NSF Inspector General thinks they should reclaim
the rights to dole out domain names, due to the massive revenue stream
generated.  They think they could recoup some of the US.gov initial 'net
development costs.
@
@ Apparently NSI has been unable to make money, taking in only about $50
Million dollars a year.  Uncle Sam thinks he can do better.  Could it be
that there is an organization more wasteful and reckless with money than
Uncle?
@
@ All this, of course,  leads us back to ARIN.  If NSI wants to drop number
assignments, but loses the contract next year, who decides?  Do we go
through all this as an exercise, then scrap it when the new regime takes
over?  If there is a new regime . . .
@
@
@

I suggest that you reserve judgement until you read
the report, read the required response to the report
from the Director Dr. Neal Lane AND you evaluate
the solutions the NSF and possibly other U.S. Government
agencies and the Internet community develop.

If you need some comments to research the situation
before you draw conclusions, I suggest that you
start with....

President Bill Clinton and Vice President Al Gore
	http://www.whitehouse.gov

National Science Board (NSB)
	http://www.nsf.gov/nsb/nsb.htm
	The NSB has dual responsibilities as:
		. National science policy advisor to the President
			and the Congress
		. Governing body for the National Science Foundation

	Chairman NSB - Dr. Richard N. Zare, Stanford University
		rnz at chemistry.stanford.edu
		http://www-leland.stanford.edu/group/Zarelab/

	Office of Inspector General of the NSF (also links to Congress)
		http://www.nsf.gov/oig/oig.htm
		Inspector General - Linda G. Sundro - lsundro at nsf.gov
			Investigator - Clara Kuehn - ckuehn at nsf.gov

National Science Foundation