Threats of Censorship?

steve usdh at mail.ccnet.com
Fri Mar 7 20:57:40 EST 1997

Perry writes:

>Will someone out there please start moderating ARIN?
>
>steve writes:
>> Ray,
>>         It seems that Mr. Fleming brings up issues which relate to the
>> discussion on a "macro" scale.  If the discussion is purely "micro" then it
>> should be stated as such.  Censorship, or "filtering" of viewpoints which
>> are thought provoking, seems to smack of Albanian-style cyber-crackdowns.
>> (Do you support President Sali Berisha in Tirana's reforms?  They are 1)
>> curfew with 'shoot to kill' orders (elminate all non-governmental ideas) on
>> anyone congregating in groups greater than four, 3) censorship or
>> "filtering" of the press.
>>         I would hope that an informative list like ARIN would be inclusive
>> of all viewpoints.  That is the spirit of diversity which Internet is best
>> at fostering.
>>
>>         Dr. Stephen J. Page (510-227-1650)

        I am monitoring the list insuring "balanced perspectives" when they
need to be addressed, if situations arise which seem to veer toward
censorship of expression which seems relevant to the topic.  If this
willingness to defend free thought and speech on a list where people are
being called on to 'filter' someone's viewpoint, a defense seems
appropriate. It does not seem to do the ARIN list discussers any favors if
they fear for sensorship of their ideas. Sensoring or filtering anyone who
mentions anything peripheral to the topic is wrong.  Just because narrow
foci work well for some people, does not mean that everyone thinks the same
way.  Celebrate the diversity of others' opinions.

        Steve