Suggestion to partially moderate NAIPR list

Nicholas Lordi Jr nlj at BELLCORE.COM
Thu Mar 6 09:37:27 EST 1997

Anyone who is (was ?) on the IAHC mailing list is aware of the
inordinate amount of traffic which did little to add to the discussion.
In fact, a recent article in the Feb 24th edition of Network World
by Scott Bradner entitled "Is online discussion democracy ?"
discusses the nature of the IAHC list.

Scott states in his article:

"Clearly, debate is necessary in a democracy, but historically, debates
are moderated in some way and have been used to try to build consensus.
Unfettered debates can foster demagogurey, disinterest, and disgust, all
at the same time."

When I read this, I thought not of the IAHC list of the past, but
the active NAIPR list in which the proponents are sincerely trying
to work with the community.

Therefore, let me suggest a stake in the ground, a compromise between
the limitless opportunity to post to this list and a moderated list,
ie., each "member" of the list is limited to 3 posts per day.
A post is either an original message or a response to someone elses