What triggered ARIN ?

John Curran jcurran at BBNPLANET.COM
Wed Mar 5 18:01:41 EST 1997

At 17:14 3/5/97, Jim Fleming wrote:
>On Wednesday, March 05, 1997 4:01 PM, John Curran[SMTP:jcurran at bbnplanet.com] wrote:

>Please explain the "routing demand"....
>
>Do you think every ISP is going to demand a /18 ?
>
>What exactly are your concerns ?

   [RFC 1519] Fuller, V., Li, T., Yu, J., and K. Varadhan, "Classless
   Inter-Domain Routing (CIDR): an Address Assignment and Aggregation
   Strategy", September 1993.

   [RFC 1518] Rekhter, Y., and T. Li, "An Architecture for IP Address
   Allocation with CIDR", September 1993.

>How many routes can you tolerate adding to the tables ?

Some tens of thousands of additional prefixes is conceivable
from a routing computation and memory size perspective.  Note
that under a non-aggregatable allocation strategy, we could
easily see such routes over the course of a single month's
growth in new sites.

/John