What triggered ARIN ?

Steve Kann stevek at STEVEK.COM
Wed Mar 5 16:31:55 EST 1997

> On Wednesday, March 05, 1997 2:10 PM, John Curran[SMTP:jcurran at bbnplanet.com] wrote:
> @ >On Tuesday, March 04, 1997 8:51 PM, John Curran[SMTP:jcurran at BBNPLANET.COM] wrote:
> @ get the right to extort payments for existing allocations
> @ without any limitation or competition? (or cost :-)
> @
> @ >If you feel that provider-based allocations are better
> @
> @ I don't think they're better, but we've had trouble
> @ coming up with any alternatives that scale.
> @
>
> If you think that is "wild"....here is another approach...
>
> Since some people can not seem to "grok" the idea
> of having a "registry" to simply manage a /8 space
> leaving allocations out of the picture....another idea
> comes to the surface...
>
> If the IPv4 address space is sold off in 256 units
> (i.e. /24s) then the owners of those units can
> collect annual "lease fees" from the people/companies
> those units have been assigned to.
>
> Those owners could be separate from the registries.
> In some cases, ISPs might just buy up their /24s
> to avoid the annual fees. In others they may decide
> to pay rent to the owner.
>
> Decoupling the owner from the company handling
> the allocation helps solve many problems. As an
> example, we have a few stray /24s that are part
> of the MCI aggregate. If someone other than us or
> MCI took "ownership" of one of those /24s then
> we (or MCI) could pay rent to that owner. In an
> aggregate, there could be many owners and it
> would not affect routing one bit.

Why is this any different than assigning ownership of the letter "A" to
some organization, who could then "manage" it, and collect "rent" from
those who use the letter "A"?  In either case, it doesn't seem like the
organization getting the money is doing anything at all, except keeping
records of who owes and who has paid.

In fact, we could auction off the entire 7-bit ascii character set!
Nay, let's auction the entire 8-bit byte space!!  I propose the
creation of ASCII-64, a confederation of 64 _different_ registries,
One for each of the 50 states, plus an additional 14 international
registries.  These registries will devoted to the coordination of the
usage of 8-bit bytes in the internet.   People wanting to use a
particular byte in their communications on the Internet could "lease"
that particular byte from that registry.

This would make it difficult, though, for organizations who would like
to be able to use a large subset of the possible 8-bit bytes. To solve
this business need, perhaps we could also have other organizations,
similar to real estate agents, who could, for a small commission,
coordinate with various sets of registries, on behalf of a client, for
leases on larger sets of characters.

The market will decide how much each lease would cost.  More common
characters will most likely command a higher premium.  Of course, the
letters A-Z will be the most important, and heck, maybe Null will be
cheap.

Think of what an industry could be generated from this.  Think of all
the Tax revenues that Governments could collect, when they pick up on
this, and start taxing us for it!  Nevermind the one-time income from
the initial sale.

Attached is form Short form 1040/BYTE EZ, which consumers can use to
declare their BYTE usage, and figure their levy:

INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE  FORM 1040/BYTE EZ

Name:				_____________________________
Social Security Number:		_____________________________

PART I:  Declaration

(1)	Number of bytes transmitted in set (A-Za-z0-9)   	__________
(2)	Number of bytes transmitted in set (!@#$%^&*()-_.,)	__________
(3)	Number of bytes transmitted where byte&0x80 = 0 	__________
(4)	Number of bytes transmitted where byte&0x80 = 1 	__________

PART II:  Figure your tax

(5)	Multiply line 1 by 20					__________
(6)	Multiply line 2 by 10					__________
(7)	Add lines 1 and 2					__________
(8)	Subtract line 7 from line 3				__________
(9)	Multiply line 8 by 7					__________
(10)	Multiply line 4 by 5					__________

(11)	Add lines 5,6,9 and 10.  This is your ABU (adjusted byte usage)

(12)	Enter your AGI from form 1040 EZ here 			__________
(13)	Look up your ABUM (Adjusted byte usage rate multiplier)
	in table 1040/BYTE-TABLE, enter it here 		__________

(14)	Multiply line 11 by line 13. This is your BYTE TAX	__________

-SteveK

--
     Steve Kann   i/o 360 digital design   841 Broadway, Suite 502
  PGP 1024/C0145E05  F2 D6 24 83 9E 52 9A 61  AA BB 97 61 5C A1 B8 CE
       Personal:stevek at SteveK.COM    Business: stevek at io360.com