Budget Breakdown??

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Wed Mar 5 14:59:23 EST 1997

On Wednesday, March 05, 1997 8:42 AM, Kim Hubbard[SMTP:kimh at internic.net] wrote:
@ >
@ Jim,
@
@ The budget being discussed below is the InterNIC budget, not the ARIN
@ budget.  The separation discussed is the fact that before ARIN was
@ devised, the proposed plan was to completely separate the IP group from every
@ other part of the InterNIC, with different staffing and possibly even
@ a different location, because we recognized the community's desire for
@ this separation.  However, it was determined that creating ARIN was
@ possibly a better solution so we did not move forward with the internal
@ separation.
@
@ Kim
@

Thanks for the response. I see the difference.

I hope that ARIN is able to step-out of the InterNIC
world. In my opinion, it would be better to step
totally out and look back and clone the whole
thing. As a business person, I get concerned
with cloning part of a proven operation.

As you know I suggested cloning the InterNICs
with each new entity having the following resources:

	1. Three TLDs (infrastructure, commercial, free)
	2. One /8 IP Space to "manage"

There is no doubt with the proper leasing model
an IP registry can stand on its own. It does not
need the cross-subsidy from the TLD domain
registrations. Basically, people in the managed
address space would be paying fees for their
IN-ADDR.ARPA entries at a minimum. At $2
per IP address per year, a /24 could yield $512
which is certainly in the range of a business.

It would be best if the registry had ownership
of the IP addresses. That is an area that interests
me. More on that later...:-)

Keep up the good work. I hope that you and the
other ARIN founders realize that some people
are coming at this same problem from the
domain name registration side of the business.
I suspect everyone will eventually meet in the
market place.

I am a little concerned that a TLD domain name
registry with 3 TLDS plus a /8 might be too
much competition for ARIN. As a non-profit you
might be able to overcome any problems in
that arena. You certainly do not want to set
yourself up for failure, because customers of
registries do not like for them to fail.

This is one of the reasons why I like to look
at the problem from all sides. I see your point
of view and I see others. There do not have to
be winners and losers as long as the customers
are served.

Thanks again for the reply....

--
Jim Fleming