Token Posting

Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU Valdis.Kletnieks at VT.EDU
Sat Mar 1 03:54:29 EST 1997

On Fri, 28 Feb 1997 19:02:35 PST, you said:
> And does this mean (hoping against hope here) that you _absolutely
> promise_ not to post again until after each of these fine folks have
> said something?  You can demonstrate the sincerity of your committment
> by not responding to this or subsequent messages, for example.  :-)

The problem with all token-passing schemes is recovery from a
lost or damaged token.  The usual solution is spontaneous regeneration
of the token if it's not been seen for some timeout value.
Based on recent list traffic, I suspect that some stations
are running with a too-low timeout before spontaneously
re-initiating a token.

				Valdis Kletnieks
				Computer Systems Engineer
				Virginia Tech