ARIN /8s ?

Randy Bush randy at PSG.COM
Mon Jun 30 13:04:00 EDT 1997

> I'm sure ARIN has/will have plenty of lawyers that will be happy to write
> the fine print legalese for you, but the content will end up like this:
>
> ARIN/RIPE/APNIC reserves the right to invalidate any IP lease at any time,
> with or without prior notice, with or without the lessee's consent.

This is QUITE different than what Karl seemed to me to be saying.  And he is
an actual lawyer.

> Of course, all this assumes that ARIN is going to make an effort to reclaim
> leases (either those made prior to or after its formation), which has never
> been publicly stated.

Other that Suzanne's and Bill's /8 reclamation project, there has been no
plans for this of which I am aware.  But Karl suggested it, so I am trying
to understand his suggestion and its consequences.  If it could be done
fairly, it might be a useful approach.

> I would also like proof ARIN/InterNIC has done any detailed analysis of the
> Big ISPs' allocations and their use which would justify the MASSIVE amounts
> of IP space allocated to them.

InterNIC does the same for large as for small.  They may be oppressive, but
they oppress everyone equally.

randy