ARIN /8s ?

Larry Vaden vaden at texoma.net
Mon Jun 30 11:01:16 EDT 1997

At 06:47 AM 6/30/97 -0700, Karl Auerbach wrote:

>> >Try substituting the "right to use" in lieu of "ownership" of an IP
>> >address.
>> >

>> The 'right to use' an  IP address should probably be restated
>> to indicate the 'ability to have a route announced', or something
>> similar.
>
>A while back there was a thread on this list about whether an allocation
>implied that the number was routable (I guess that means that people would
>accept the routing announcements.)
>
>That kinda got rejected.
>
>Perhaps a better formulation is that an allocation gives one the right to
>exclude others from announcing the number.

Be careful here, Karl.  A CIDR block without the right to announce is
similar to a sterile fruit fly.  And you know what we're trying to do with
fruit flies, correct?

---

Larry Vaden, founder and CEO                  help-desk 903-813-4500
Internet Texoma, Inc.                            direct 903-870-0365
<http://www.texoma.net>                             fax 903-868-8551
bringing the real Internet to rural Texomaland    pager 903-867-6571