ARIN /8s ?

Stephen Sprunk spsprunk at paranet.com
Sun Jun 29 21:21:23 EDT 1997

At 18:36 29-06-97 -0500, you wrote:
>The InterNIC, APNIC and RIPE were recently "given" or "leased"
>new /8 allocations. The value of these allocations is millions of
>dollars.

Please tell us how you determined the value of these allocations.

>APNIC and RIPE have recently stated that they are providing
>"funding" to the IANA. The InterNIC and NSI have been providing
>funding already.

This funding is for the operation of the registry and does not involve the
purchase/leasing of IP addresses.

>Somewhere all of these assets and payments have to show
>up on someone's books....I would assume...

Since there are no payments and IP addresses are not an asset, they do not
have to appear on paper anywhere.

>Since ARIN claims it will be an IRS approved 501(c)6, I would
>assume that all of these details will be spelled out in the ARIN
>books and records. For example, if these are leases, what is
>the term of the lease ? (BTW, ask the people in Hong Kong about
>leases and the terms)

The term of all IANA-registry IP leases appears to be indefinite; I doubt
any formal terms have been put in writing yet.

>P.S. You claim that Jon Postel owns all of the IP
>addresses. Can you tell me when he bought them ?

He didn't; I'll leave the explanation to the more eloquent David Conrad.

Stephen