ARIN /8s ?

Jim Fleming JimFleming at unety.net
Sun Jun 29 19:36:10 EDT 1997

On Sunday, June 29, 1997 3:49 PM, Stephen Sprunk[SMTP:spsprunk at paranet.com] wrote:
@ As has been pointed out numerous times, an IP allocation is a LEASE, not a
@ SALE.  Just as a leased house is not an asset you can claim, neither is an
@ IP allocation.  Technically, ARIN will be leased a portion of the IP space
@ (just like RIPE and APNIC, and formerly NSI) from the IANA.
@
@ This, in effect, means Jon Postel owns all of the IP space.  However, since
@ he owns 100% of it, it essentially has a zero dollar value (since value can
@ only be determined by a sale).
@

The InterNIC, APNIC and RIPE were recently "given" or "leased"
new /8 allocations. The value of these allocations is millions of
dollars.

APNIC and RIPE have recently stated that they are providing
"funding" to the IANA. The InterNIC and NSI have been providing
funding already.

Somewhere all of these assets and payments have to show
up on someone's books....I would assume...

Since ARIN claims it will be an IRS approved 501(c)6, I would
assume that all of these details will be spelled out in the ARIN
books and records. For example, if these are leases, what is
the term of the lease ? (BTW, ask the people in Hong Kong about
leases and the terms)

Asia Pacific Network Information Center (NETBLK-APNIC2)
   Tokyo Central Post Office Box 351
   Tokyo
   100-91
   JAPAN

   Netname: APNIC3
   Netblock: 61.0.0.0 - 61.255.255.255
   Maintainer: AP

   Coordinator:
      Conrad, David Randolph  (DC396)  davidc at APNIC.NET
      +81-3-5500-0480 (FAX) +81-3-5500-0481
 Record last updated on 25-Apr-97.
   Database last updated on 29-Jun-97 05:27:22 EDT.

=======================================

European Regional Internet Registry/RIPE NCC (NETBLK-RIPE-C3)
   These addresses have been further assigned to European users.
   Their contact information can be found in the RIPE database.
   See below how to use that database to obtain up-to-date information.

   Netname: RIPE-C3
   Netblock: 62.0.0.0 - 62.255.255.255
   Maintainer: RIPE

   Coordinator:
      RIPE Network Coordination Centre  (RNC-ORG)  nicdb at RIPE.NET
      http://www.ripe.net/nicdb.html
Record last updated on 25-Apr-97.
   Database last updated on 29-Jun-97 05:27:22 EDT.

=======================================

InterNIC Registration (NETBLK-INTERNIC-)
   Network Solutions
   505 Huntmar Park Drive
   Herndon, VA 22070

   Netname: INTERNIC-2
   Netblock: 63.0.0.0 - 63.255.255.255
   Maintainer: INIC

   Coordinator:
      Network Solutions, Inc.  (HOSTMASTER)  hostmaster at INTERNIC.NET
      (703) 742-4777 (FAX) (703) 742-4811

   Record last updated on 25-Apr-97.
   Database last updated on 29-Jun-97 05:27:22 EDT.

P.S. You claim that Jon Postel owns all of the IP
addresses. Can you tell me when he bought them ?

--
Jim Fleming
Unir Corporation