past vs future use

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 29 13:19:28 EDT 1997

Jon and all

Jon Lewis wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jun 1997, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
>
> > The fact is 80% of ISPs fail in one year.  There is also another
> > oft-ignored fact: NOBODY EVER RECLAIMS DELEGATIONS.  This means that the
>
> 80% in their first year?  What black hole did you pull that figure from?
>
> > The expected procedure for a new ISP is thus:
> >
> > 1. Connect to an upstream provider
> > 2. Obtain some PA IPs from that provider
> > 3. Efficiently assign those IPs to your customers OR do a bunch of
> >    fake SWIPs that make it look like you're efficient
> > 4. Repeat 2 and 3 until you have ~8192 PA IPs
> > 5. Trade in your PA IPs for a /19 allocation
> > 6. Make every customer you have renumber
>
> That't the normal way for an ISP to "grow up"...but what about ISP's that
> start out with deep pockets?  Say you just sold a long distance company or
> string of video rental stores and decide to start up a regional ISP with
> multiple connections to the net on day 1, etc.  What if you decide instead
> to start up a new backbone company that plans to sell connectivity to
> ISP's?  Do you sell connections to small handful of customers telling them
> you'll be renumbering them in a few weeks?

  Exactly!  I think that Stephen's model above is approiate for some
rookies in the ISP business.  I am not sure whom on this list said this,
but the real trick in starting up an ISP is not having to renumber.  The
"Stephen senerio", just above is a poor one and as you say sure wouldn't
apply to a startup with reasonable resources and my response to his
post.  It seems obvious to me, and you it seems as well, that either
Stephen has never done any startup ISP buisness, or/and has little
idea as to how to plan well.  No offense, Stephen.  >;)

>  Jon Lewis <jlewis at fdt.net>  |  Unsolicited commercial e-mail will
>  Network Administrator       |  be proof-read for $199/message.
>  Florida Digital Turnpike    |
> ________Finger jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net for PGP public key_______

Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.
Information Eng. Group. IEG. INC.
Phone :913-294-2375 (v-office)
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com