ARIN /8s ?

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sun Jun 29 11:52:56 EDT 1997

Stephen,

Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> As has been pointed out numerous times, an IP allocation is a LEASE, not a
> SALE.  Just as a leased house is not an asset you can claim, neither is an
> IP allocation.  Technically, ARIN will be leased a portion of the IP space
> (just like RIPE and APNIC, and formerly NSI) from the IANA.

  I think that everyone understands that IP allocations are a sort of
LEASE.  I can't for a fact say what Jim was refering to. So I won't
get into that.

> This, in effect, means Jon Postel owns all of the IP space.  However, since
> he owns 100% of it, it essentially has a zero dollar value (since value can
> only be determined by a sale).

  I don't believe this statment.

> Stephen
>
> At 15:42 28-06-97 -0500, you wrote:
> >Just a reminder...it also has to handle or help handle
> >the maintenance of the delegations under IN-ADDR.ARPA
> >for the /8s that ARIN will be delegated.
> >
> >Does anyone have a list of which /8s those will be ?
> >
> >Has the IRS determined what the value of those /8 delegations are ?
> >
> >Will those delegations be transferred as assets from Network
> >Solutions, Inc. to ARIN which was supposed to be an IRS 501(c) 6 ?

Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.
Information Eng. Group. IEG. INC.
Phone :913-294-2375 (v-office)
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com