past vs future use

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Sat Jun 28 15:11:52 EDT 1997

Kim,

Kim Hubbard wrote:

> > At 04:30 PM 6/28/97 -0400, Jon Lewis wrote:
> > >
> > >Can an ISP justify allocations via swip by assigning 300% more space than
> > >initially needed to all of its end users?
> > >

> > I'm not sure about 300%, but 800-1600% seems to work (i.e., those ISPs
> > using static ip assignment for dialup customers) `[8-((
>
> > I don't have information on the ratio of IPs to customers for, e.g., @HOME,
> > but 24.0.0.0 seems to contain a lot of cable television firms with large
> > CIDR blocks.
> >
> > I presume prior efficient utilization of a /19 could be documented with a
> > Freedom of Information Act request along with protective orders for any
> > confidential information.
>
> Everything that is not confidential is already available in WHOIS via
> the SWIPped information, I would assume that most ISPs would consider
> the rest of their documented data to be confidential.

  I would also assume that you are correct.  But this still doesn't
answer the
original question.  Can you PLEASE advise?  Or someone on the Board at
ARIN advise, or the InterNic?

> Kim Hubbard
> InterNIC Registry
>

> > ---
> >
> > Larry Vaden, founder and CEO                  help-desk 903-813-4500
> > Internet Texoma, Inc. <http://www.texoma.net>    direct 903-870-0365
> > Member, Board of Directors, ISP/C                   fax 903-868-8551
> > bringing the real Internet to rural Texomaland    pager 903-867-6571

Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.
Information Eng. Group. IEG. INC.
Phone :913-294-2375 (v-office)
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com