FTC to Resolve Domain Issues

Karl Denninger karl at MCS.NET
Mon Jun 9 17:46:35 EDT 1997

On Mon, Jun 09, 1997 at 04:40:58PM -0500, Jim Fleming wrote:
> The U.S. Federal Trade Commission just announced
> that it will be starting a process to resolve the domain
> name issues. Evidently, they plan to start with a clean
> slate and of course their charters will guide their actions.
>
> Here are some excerpts...
>
> @@@@ http://www.ftc.gov/ftc/history1.htm
>
> "The Federal Trade Commission enforces a variety of
> federal antitrust and consumer protection laws. The
> Commission seeks to ensure that the nation's markets
> function competitively, and are vigorous, efficient, and
> free of undue restrictions."
>
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
>

> @@@@ http://www.ftc.gov/bc/mission.htm
>
> "The FTC's antitrust arm, the Bureau of Competition, seeks
> to prevent business practices that restrain competition.
> As a result, purchasers benefit from lower prices and
> greater availability of products and services."
>
> @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
>

> Evidently, the FTC's actions are being applauded (literally)
> by many commercial Internet companies that realize that
> these actions are now necessary in light of the actions of
> some of the so-called, Internet leaders, during the past few
> years.
>
> --
> Jim Fleming
> Unir Corporation
> http://www.Unir.Corp

Well I'll be damned.

Its about time.

Karl Denninger (karl at MCS.Net)| MCSNet - The Finest Internet Connectivity
http://www.mcs.net/~karl     | T1's from $600 monthly to FULL DS-3 Service
			     | 99 Analog numbers, 77 ISDN, http://www.mcs.net/
Voice: [+1 312 803-MCS1 x219]| NOW Serving 56kbps DIGITAL on our analog lines!
Fax:   [+1 312 803-4929]     | 2 FULL DS-3 Internet links; 400Mbps B/W Internal