(IPng 4133) Re: An idea to bounce off people: storing routing info in the DNS instead of the routers.

Michael Gersten michael at STB.INFO.COM
Thu Jul 24 19:26:00 EDT 1997

Yes, 2 years is the outside limit, given the demand for routable
IP's.

This idea of mine is intended to allow V4 systems, with 100% compatibility,
to have routables /31's or /32's (assuming that a /32 won't crash the
kernel).

As people have pointed out to me, strict compatibility won't happen, but
if the ISP's and backbones upgrade, it will work; if and when people upgrade
their own systems (windows 98, etc), then the load is moved even more to
the source sites and away from the center.

The point is: If the whole reason for rushing v6 is "Get routable IP's",
then it's a false argument. There are other ways to get routable IP's that
do not require all existing v4 applications to be incompatible.

[Did a solution to a v4 program talking to a v6 host ever get developed?
I was off the list for about 4 months this year]