NAIPR: consider an AUP for the list

Nicholas Lordi Jr nlj at BELLCORE.COM
Fri Jul 18 13:07:13 EDT 1997

Perhaps when Kim is back we can discuss having an AUP for this list.
Attached is an example AUP which NANOG recently implemented.

If we don't come up with something those who have important contributions,
or plain just want to keep up with what is going on, will sign off due to
the high signal to noise ratio of this list, which is similar
to what transpired on the IAHC list.

In the meantime, take a look at what NANOG is using.
I think all of us would appreciate some voluntary restraint on the part of
those individuals who may be violating the tenets of this example NANOG AUP.

Nick

technical information and the discussion of specific implementation issues
that require cooperation among network service providers. In order to
continue to provide a useful forum for discussion of relevant technical
issues, the list will now be governed by the following guidelines:

Acceptable Use Policy

   1. Discussion will focus on Internet operational and technical issues
      as described in the charter of NANOG.
   2. Postings of issues inconsistent with the charter are prohibited.
   3. Postings to multiple mailing lists are discouraged.
   4. Postings that include foul language, character assassination, and
      lack of respect for other participants are prohibited.
   5. Blatant product marketing is unacceptable.
   6. Postings of political, philosophical, and legal nature are
      discouraged.

Individuals who violate these guidelines will be contacted personally and
asked to adhere to the guidelines. If an individual persists in violating
the guidelines, the convenor of NANOG, Merit Network, Inc., will take action
to filter the offender's messages to the list.

If groups of individuals persist in introducing topics that are outside the
charter of NANOG, the convenor will send a request to the entire mailing
list requesting adherence to the guidelines. If the discussion continues
unabated, the convenor will take action to filter all postings on the topic.