Rebuttal to Mr. Weisberg's insinuations

Peter Veeck pveeck at regionalweb.texoma.net
Fri Jul 18 11:50:14 EDT 1997

Robert T. Nelson wrote:

[snipped beginning of discussion to save space]

> Absolutely agreed. Why don't you become a member of ARIN. I think you'd be
> well advised to take a good look at how ARIN can work for you.

I have some problems with the proposed organizational structure of ARIN
(http://www.arin.net/arin_proposal.html).

1.  "An annual membership fee of $1,000 (US) will be charged to all
entities joining ARIN.  Membership is open to any entity/individual
wishing to join, regardless of whether the entity/individual receives
address space directly from ARIN."

This strikes me as a poll tax.  Pay $1000.00 and you can vote.  Donate
$50,000.00 and you can get your picture taken in the Whitehouse.  It may
be a necessary evil, but not one I can support.  I can understand the
need for funding but I support a user charge on IP addresses rather than
a membership fee.

2.  "Selection of the Board of Trustees: ... the initial Board of
Trustees will be selected by the individuals presently responsible for,
and consequently most knowledgeable of, the management of IP addresses
under the current arrangement."

This is reasonable for to set up the incorporation paperwork and get to
a formation meeting. But:

	"... two expiring after the first year, two expiring after the second
year, and two expiring after the third year."

Strikes me as a bit more than enough time to do the paperwork.  I don't
really understand why a board can't be elected at the first
organizational meeting by the membership.

3.  Is it necessary for the members of the BoT or the Advisory Council
to be members of ARIN?  It is not stated.

4.  "The initial Advisory Council will be selected from among ARIN's
membership by the Board of Trustees."

I see no reason that the Advisory Council cannot be elected at the first
organizational meeting.

5.  "The membership fee entitles the entity/individual to attend the two
ARIN membership meetings held each year ..."

When are these meetings?  Or more to the point when is the first
organizational one.

6.  "... and to take advantage of other membership benefits to be
determined, such as the opportunity to nominate and elect members of
ARIN's Advisory Council. It is anticipated that, under this fee-based
framework, the membership will provide a focused, considered, and
responsible approach to addressing and solving the challenges facing the
Internets numeric addressing scheme."

This sounds like the argument made in Congress for pay raises.  "We need
to raise the pay to get more qualified members."  At election time I
don't remember any of the candidates claiming that they weren't
qualified.

ARIN is not a democratic or even a representative form of organization.
To me it looks like "noblise oblige".

> I think that the fact of the matter here, is that memory space (IP
> addresses) in any programmable system is limited, and at a premium. It
> confuses the process if you have more than one entity assigning space in
> the Original Place. After that entity assigns space to functions
> (downstream registries in charge of how *they* allocate space) they can do
> with their space as they please.

Agreed, but the "one entity assigning space in the Original Place"
should be representative of the entirety.  i.e. software developers,
hardware manufacturers, end users, Corporate users, backbone providers,
educational institutions, local service providers, and any other
identifiable groups.

> Up till the present day, the Internet has been "under the care of" its
> original programmers. In order to have an orderly transition, those
> original people have to pass on their functions to a larger, but still
> limited group. That group can then, in turn, delegate some of those
> functions downstream. ARIN fulfills that function. NAIR could fulfil the
> role of downstream registry.

Yes, but the operating officers of ARIN are being taken from NSI.  NSI
has not shown a propensity for delegation or standardized procedures.
Bill Manning reposted a message (I only include the top for reference):