Democracy and InterNIC/APNIC/RIPE-NCC

John LeRoy Crain John.Crain at RIPE.NET
Fri Jul 18 09:42:57 EDT 1997

 Larry Vaden <vaden at texoma.net> writes:
 * At 12:51 PM 7/18/97 +0200, John LeRoy Crain wrote:
 * <snip>...</snip>
 * >I agree that US citizens know what their version of democracy is.
 * >However electing someone to represent the citizens only works when you
 * >have citizens. ARIN does not yet have members, so who gets to vote.
 * >
 * >Who is going to decide this? Who is going to contact all the people
 * >with an interest in the Inet, As you don't have members yet, not only
 * >in the US, ARIN is not a registry for the USA only, but in south
 * >American countries other ARIN regions?
 * >
 * >To take a vote you first need to define who the voters are. I would
 * >suggest that the ARIN proposal clearly points to the fact that the
 * >"members" will get a say in what happens.
 * >
 * >First you need the members and to get them ARIN needs to exist before
 * >hand.
 *
 * Hi, John.
 *
 * Having had only one cup of coffee this morning, I accidentally left out a
 * third question.  Please excuse me.
 *
 * In line with the other two questions, what were their respective answers
 * for RIPE?

RIPE works differently as we do not have a board of trustees. We are
about to change our system to something even more similar to ARIN.
People who are interested can read the De-Facto Organisational Rules.

<http:www.ripe.net/docs/ripe-156.html>

The Executive Board works similarly to that of ARIN.
RIPE-NCC already has a commitee, open to all members, called the
contributors commitee. They will elect the first EB.

This is where RIPE-NCC and APNIC vary from the ARIN proposal.
Our organisations are already in existance and have been for
some time. We already have the membership base to elect the EB.

You will find he general principle doesn't vary that much from the
ARIN proposal.

 * If memory serves correctly, the temperature must be approaching 25C by this
 * time of year there in Amsterdam.  Have a great weekend.

It's raining:-( Heavily:-(

Kind regards,

John Crain