Democracy and InterNIC/APNIC/RIPE-NCC

Larry Vaden vaden at texoma.net
Fri Jul 18 08:48:24 EDT 1997

At 12:51 PM 7/18/97 +0200, John LeRoy Crain wrote:
<snip>...</snip>
>I agree that US citizens know what their version of democracy is.
>However electing someone to represent the citizens only works when you
>have citizens. ARIN does not yet have members, so who gets to vote.
>
>Who is going to decide this? Who is going to contact all the people
>with an interest in the Inet, As you don't have members yet, not only
>in the US, ARIN is not a registry for the USA only, but in south
>American countries other ARIN regions?
>
>To take a vote you first need to define who the voters are. I would
>suggest that the ARIN proposal clearly points to the fact that the
>"members" will get a say in what happens.
>
>First you need the members and to get them ARIN needs to exist before
>hand.

Hi, John.  It is good to hear from you again.  I hope you will agree to
continue helping with the discussion.

As you read the ARIN proposal, how soon after formation of ARIN will an
Advisory Council be 100% elected by the members rather than by the BofT?

As you read the ARIN proposal, how soon after formation of ARIN will the
BofT be 100% elected by the members rather than by the organizers of ARIN?

I appreciate and value your input.

Best regards,

Larry