Rebuttal to Mr. Weisberg's insinuations Re: Important News from Don Telage about ARIN

Dave Crocker dcrocker at BRANDENBURG.COM
Fri Jul 18 00:39:43 EDT 1997

At 05:13 PM 7/17/97 -0400, Gordon Cook wrote:
>Cook: show me the statute that says telage is required to seek rough
>consensus. This is *NOT* an IETF working group.

	No, it is not the IETF, but the IETF style of decision making has proved
to be remarkably successful.  For Internet-related processes (and no doubt
other community-oriented activities not involving the Internet) it is
entirely appropriate to incorporate as much of that style as is feasible.

	The IETF rought consensus model has two major benefits (when it works)
which is that it acquires massive review and, therefore, improvement, and
it tends to build very strong community support.

	There is of course no guarantee that an effort to emulate that style will
be successful, but NSI's approach to dealing with the Internet community is
rather extreme in the other direction and it would be very difficult to
call it a successful approach, either in terms of quality of the decisions
or in terms of community support.  No?

d/