Rebuttal to Mr. Weisberg's insinuations Re: Important News from Don Telage about ARIN

Jeff Williams jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com
Thu Jul 17 19:17:17 EDT 1997

Eric and all,

  I thought this post very well stated.  I would add, that, as Thomas
Jefferson once siad, "The tree of lierty is watered by the blood of its
patriots".  The battel here seems to be very much joined.  Personal
attacks
and all.  The battle is over what Eric said so well, REPRESENTIVE
system.
What seems to be the direction form ARIN, is not.  This is starkly
evident ins some of the comments and creditbility attacks being made
against Eric, myself and others whom do not take on face value what
is being said from within ARIN and what is not being answered when
querried.  This leads to suspicion.  Once going down that path very
far, it is a long and never ending road.  Let us all attempt
to find inclusion for all in this process instead of attacking
any person(S) integraty here.

Eric Weisberg wrote:

> Robert T. Nelson wrote:
> >
> > I hope that Vaden, Weisberg, Fleming, Walker, etc think carefully about
> > these points, and perhaps they might find people more williing to listen
> > to their ideas.
> >
> > Robert Nelson, President
> > INTERNOC (tm)
> > the internetwork operating company, inc.
> > +1.210.299.4662
> > rnelson at internoc.com
>
> Robert,
>
> I respect your thoughts on this.  I am certain that you are speaking
> from your heart and experience.  I fully accept that you understand an
> immense amount that I can not appreciate.  Thus,  I have to be and am
> concerned that I may be wrong in my criticism.  Furthermore, I have
> nothing to gain from this heated and personal discussion. I fully
> understand that my company may suffer harm from my being so foolish.
> And, I do not enjoy the enmity I am earning from people whom I would
> like to have as friends.
>
> However, I am continuing this side of the discussion because I think
> these are fundamental issues which must be correctly resolved in order
> to guarantee the good health and proper functioning of the system.  If
> we organize correctly in the beginning, we will live in a more just and
> healthy environment.  If we do not, we will pay the price with
> discriminatory rules and arbitrary enforcement.
>
> I suggest that there has been little response to the issues I raise.  I
> think Gordon, has been the exception and has genuinely tried to nudge
> the process in the right direction.  Instead of dealing with my points,
> people questioned my motivation and accused me of attacking the Net.
> That, I do not accept.
>
> I want to be subject to a REPRESENTATIVE system.  And, I suggest that it
> should be created in a democratic process--a vote of the governed or of
> some broadly representative group.  I question whether that has
> occurred.
>
> I am not criticizing Jon Postel.  I am criticizing top-down governance.
> I am alleging and criticizing a failure to publically discuss how ARIN
> should be organized.
>
> You may have discussed ARIN's structure to death before I came along and
> decided that a self-appointing board is what you want.  Maybe there was
> a public vote to do it this way.  If so, I owe and give a lot of people
> an appology and will understand their reluctance to accept it.  If such
> a process has not occurred, I suggest that it should. I ask you to
> respond to this suggestion rather than attacking my motives or
> integrity.
>
> I also suggest that the ARIN "proposal" smacks (to my admittedly
> sensitive ear) of paternalism.  I read it as saying that the people
> involved in the Internet are not competent to democratically manage an
> IP registry in a responsible way and that this function must be
> entrusted to a board which is out of the reach of the "peasants" (to use
> [...]

Thank you and Regards,
--
Jeffrey A. Williams
DIR. Internet Network Eng/SR. Java Development Eng.
E-Mail jwkckid1 at ix.netcom.com