No us gov't funding for ARIN was RE: Working Draft with Kim Hubbard Amendment

Gordon Cook cook at NETAXS.COM
Fri Jul 11 22:28:22 EDT 1997

When Michael Dillon said:

The news article that I read said that the US government was funding ARIN
with an injection of $250,000 and that NSI was only giving $50,000. That
does not sound at all like NSI is funding and staffing ARIN.

I was taken aback because this conflicted with what I had earlier been
told. I checked with several sources who have first hand knowledge and
have assured me that the following statement is accurate

NSI, at the December (1996) IETF, offered to provide TRANSITION funding of
the startup and staffing of ARIN. They legally committed themselves to do
this as a part of their year 5 program plan with NSF. They are now
carrying out that commitment. The costs involved will be significantly
greater that the $300K total figure in Michael dillon's post here this
evening. These costs include ZERO US government funds.

The COOK Report on Internet               For subsc. pricing & more than
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA     ten megabytes of free material
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)              visit   http://cookreport.com/
Internet: cook at cookreport.com             On line speech of critics under
attack by Ewing NJ School Board, go to http://cookreport.com/sboard.shtml