Forcible reclamation?

Dana Hudes dhudes at graphnet.com
Mon Jul 7 15:59:31 EDT 1997

I propose that Internic reclaim any registered block over one year old
which is not advertised in the global routing tables and that this
process be repeated quarterly. For example, I personally know of
a class B sitting unused for five years. The registrant has machines
numbered in this space behind a SOCKS  firewall which
uses a /26 in PA space from their upstream. Of course the contact
has long since left the organization and the e-mail address
doesn't work.

It is in the public good to reclaim such space posthaste. Voluntary
efforts are well and good, but has anyone tried wholesale to match
advertisements to registration and find the surplus registrations?
Even on a voluntary basis, an enquiry in e-mail to the last known
contact of such organizations might turn up a few willing to relinquish.
Writing an RFC that such organizations never see won't help.

My .02
not an official position of anyone
Dana Hudes