US CODE: Title 15, Chapter 1, Section 2.

Karl Auerbach karl at CAVEBEAR.COM
Fri Jan 31 03:21:20 EST 1997

>     I think, Tim, that you're the only person who's mentioned "charging
>     for IP address space."  You'll recall that all anyone else is
>     interested in doing is providing registry services.

I don't agree with your analogy -- An address registered with any other
registry is a worthless address.  ARIN is the sole source for address
assignment which will be recognized in the routing of the Internet.

The "service" of registration with ARIN is an and necessary act for one to
obtain a usable network address.

Remember, JD Rockefeller of the Standard Oil Company didn't have a
monopoly on the pumping of oil -- anybody could drill a well. But any
producer who wanted to sell crude oil had but one buyer -- the Standard
Oil Company.  Standard Oil was the sole provider of refining "services".

By your argument, Standard Oil didn't have a monopoly.

Yes, others can establish address registries.  However ARIN is the
exclusive source for addresses within the only address space that is
recognized by the routing of the internet.

So whether ARIN behaves in a benign way or not, one must recognize that
it's position is one of immense power subject to no competitve controls
and no regulatory authority.

		--karl--