question about in-addr.arpa

Jon Lewis jlewis at inorganic5.fdt.net
Mon Jan 27 01:12:41 EST 1997

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, Brett L. Hawn wrote:

> One thing I've not quite figured out is why ARIN is proposing to do
> in-addr.arpa for IPs. Last I checked that should be maintained by the folks
> the IPs are registered to no? I know I myself and Networks On-Line do the
> in-addr.arpa for our /19's, and MCI (when you can get them to get off their
> butts to do something) will swip out IPs to the folks they delegate IPs to.
> This in and of itself is a large portion of the 'database maintenace' we're
> supposed to be paying for, and really isn't needed.

Speaking of swip...anyone know why Sprint/Centel flat out refused to swip
the block they assigned to us when we opened a new POP with a Sprint T1?

The whois data for our block brings up:

Sprint/Centel (NETBLK-CMDS-TLH)
   1313 Blair Stone Rd.
   P.O. Box 2214
   Tallahassee, FL 32316

   Netname: NETBLK-CMDS-TLH
   Netblock: 199.44.0.0 - 199.44.255.0
   Maintainer: SCEN

It became a real PITA, because they dragged their heals when it came to
setting themselves up a secondary DNS for our ??.44.199.IN-ADDR.ARPA
domains.  We ended up running with no reverse DNS for about a week.

I wonder if they've changed policy in the past months.

UUNET had no trouble swip'ing the block they assigned us.