Fees (was: I see the Web page has been updated today..)

Michael Dillon michael at MEMRA.COM
Sun Jan 26 03:56:11 EST 1997

On Sat, 25 Jan 1997, Stephen Satchell wrote:

> Why is the ARIN dealing with a *domain* problem, IN-ADDR.ARPA?  Because
> this is a *name* issue and not an *address* issue,

Did you read through the stuff on the reading list at http://www.arin.net ?

The .ARPA top level domain is no longer used for anything except the
IN-ADDR.ARPA subdomain. This domain is an integrated part of the IP
addressing system and is used to provide reverse mapping of numbers to
addresses. For instance, if a server receives a request from 192.0.2.39
and wishes to discover the domain name of the host with that address, it
looks up the PTR record for 39.2.0.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA and discovers that
the host is named freddy.example.com. This is a required service on the
Internet in order to support logging facilities such as those provided
by most webservers.

Therefore, IN-ADDR.ARPA has nothing whatsoever to do with domain name
registries. It is merely a case of using existing the existing DNS
technology to do the job rather than re-inventing the wheel.

> <OFF-TOPIC> I believe that the whole process
> of dealing with IN-ADDR.ARPA needs to be automated so that reverse mapping
> becomes less painful to deal with.  </OFF-TOPIC>

Most ISP's have already automated this process, unless they don't
understand how the DNS works.

Memra Software Inc.              -                  Fax: +1-250-546-3049