Mike Odell?

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at clark.net
Thu Jan 23 14:20:03 EST 1997

At 10:14 AM -0500 1/23/97, Larry Honig wrote:
>Mr. Berkowitz just posted a reference to Mike Odell and an "8+8"
>proposal. Where can the newbie/lurker crowd find out more about this?
>Thanks in advance for tolerating an ongoing education process.(eg of
>course I don't know the entire scope of what I don't know. Flaming us
>for this is analagous to this entire debate, which, as it seems to me,
>turns on the fact that the Internet could have been perfect if only we
>knew about - and solved - all of these problems in advance!) Remember -
>the best is the enemy of the good.

It's an Internet draft for an address structure for IPv6.  You can get
Internet Drafts at

   http://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts

1id-abstracts.txt in that directory is a file of abstracts of all Internet
Drafts.

Remember IPv6 is still bleeding edge, and ARIN is not now concerned with
IPv6.  The specific paper is:

  "8+8 - An Alternate Addressing Architecture for IPv6", M. O'Dell,
  10/24/1996, <draft-odell-8+8-00.txt>

    This document presents an alternative addressing architecture for IPv6
    which controls global routing growth with very aggressive topological
    aggregation. It also includes support for scalable multihoming as a
    distinguished service while freeing sites and service resellers from
    the tyranny of CIDR-based aggregation by providing transparent rehoming
    of both.