Scaleable IP

Thom Stark thomst at netcom.com
Thu Jan 23 00:05:38 EST 1997

Brett L. Hawn asks:

> Not to sound like Mr. Flemming but one thing strikes me as a serious
> oversight, the lack of thought towards the future. Rather than overprice a
> non-scalable resource, and basically screw everyone in the process. Why
> isn't something being done to create something more scalable and useable?

The "something more scalable and useable" to which you refer is IPv6.
Among other advantages, it offers more usable individual addresses than
there are molecules in the Solar System.

The problem has been, is and will be one of a chicken-and-egg variety:
since IPv6 is not downwardly compatible with IPv4, in order to gain
widespread acceptance, it must be supported by everyone from router
manufacturers to IP stack vendors to software developers.  The principal
resistance to IPv6's adoption as a standard has come from Cisco Corp.
and Microsoft Corp.  Need any more than that statement be said?

Thom Stark

Email:  thomst at netcom.com              URL:  http://www.dnai.com/~thomst
             finger thomst at netcom.com for my PGP Public Key

(510) 526-9600 voice       STARK  REALITIES           fax (510) 526-9063
POB 457                     El Cerrito, CA                ZIP 94530-0457