ARIN proposal

Jeremiah Kristal jeremiah at CORP.IDT.NET
Wed Jan 22 23:57:42 EST 1997

On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Jerry Scharf wrote:

> Tim,
>
> What does dual homed have to do with provider independent space. As long as
> you don't want to punt MCI, just continue to use that space. If you want to
> dual home it to xyznet, all you do is get xyznet and MCI to annouce the more
> specific CIDR block. It costs the routing tables exactly as much as if you got
> a PI block and dual homed.
>
> This way you are dual homes and aren't out $2500.

Jerry, I don't think you fully understand dual-homing.  To truly
dual-home, your entire network must be fully reachable through both
providers.  They only way to be fully reachable through both providers is
to have both providers advertise *all* of your addresses.  Because of
limitations of the current routers, most large providers have stopped
accepting new routes that are smaller than a /19.  Since the route through
MCI is smaller than a /19, it won't do any good for xyznet to advertise
the present ip addresses, or anything else smaller than a /19.  Therefore
Tim needs to get at least a /19.  He could get a /19 from either one of
his prividers, but once you make the commitmant to dual-home, you almost
always want you own block of addresses.
That said, I still don't think that $2500 is an excessive fee for a /19.
If a provider is large enough to make a commitmant to dual-home, and
expend the money and the resources to do it correctly, they should be
large enough to afford the cost.

      ________
      \______/                  Jeremiah Kristal
       \____/                   Senior Network Integrator
        \__/                    IDT Internet Services
         \/                     jeremiah at hq.idt.net
                                201-928-4454