What Government Subsidy?

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at clark.net
Wed Jan 22 08:12:18 EST 1997

At 12:01 AM -0500 1/22/97, David Hakala wrote:
>-- [ From: David Hakala * EMC.Ver #2.5.02 ] --
>
>> At 08:41 AM 1/21/97 -0000, Mark Richmond wrote:
>> >
>> >Enough of the 'I said / You said' BS.  Why is this a good idea?
>> >
>> Because it's the only reasonable way to fund a registry that is losing
>it's
>> government subsidy. Clear enough?
>
>As soon as someone tells us how much government money is being lost, we'll
>be able to calculate how big ARIN's fees should be.

Even in the short term, there are problems with the services provided by
the NIC under the current structure.  It seems silly to perpetuate some of
them into its immediate structure, so there may not be a direct cost
comparison.  In other words, we could try to transfer the current budget
including government money, but that may not be the right budget for the
new organization. Current budget figures includes things like domain
registration, which won't move, and service availability which we don't now
have.