My Opinion on IP Addresses

David R. Conrad davidc at apnic.net
Tue Jan 21 22:42:24 EST 1997

Sigh.

>What ARIN is proposing could
>make our break my operation along with hundreds of other Internet Service
>providers.

It would appear InterKan gets their address space from BBN Planet.  If
so, the impact of the ARIN proposal on your organization would be
dependent on how BBN Planet decides to amortize its US $20,000/year
cost over *ALL* their customers.  Given BBN planet has quite a few
customers, I imagine the amount of additional charges you would face
(and the likely amount of address space you have) would be sub $1.00
per year, assuming BBN Planet decides to go through the hassle of
trying to recover the cost.

I'm a bit skeptical this will break you.

You would only pay a fee to ARIN if you obtain resources from ARIN
directly.

>Someone should be working on expanding the
>numbers to 999 instead of charging $999.95 for the numbers. Lets face it,
>32 bit would not be that hard to change to over the 8 bit coding of the
>current system. Hell even 16 bit would vastly improve the number
>problem!!!!  (65535.65535.65535.65535 everybody could have their own class
>A).

It would appear you don't quite understand how IP addresses work, however
please see the various press reports, books, articles, etc. on IPv6.

>I totally agree with the Association of Online Professionals in their
>fighting this proposal.

Strange.  Someone just sent a note that stated (in part):

] The AOP has *not* requested it's members to write.  It has
] *informed* us that there is an issue to consider, and where to find
] out more about it.

yet it would appear you haven't bothered to research before you posted.
It would be nice if AOP would inform its members about how to read
archives, but I guess that's a bit too much to ask.

Regards,
-drc