please define terms

Jeremiah Kristal jeremiah at CORP.IDT.NET
Tue Jan 21 21:54:17 EST 1997

I've put up a very basic recommended reading list at
http://idt.net/~jeremiah.  If I have to move it (which I doubt) I'll set
up a link to the new location.  I will also be adding to it tonight and
tomorrow and whenever there is a request to add something.  I will also be
working on a small faq and maybe some additional info from the list.  I
will not put up anything without permission.

Jeremiah

On Tue, 21 Jan 1997, Kim Hubbard wrote:

> Paul,
>
> We're going to add a recommended reading list to the ARIN page.
>
> Kim
>
> > This is another glaring indication that people are tossing opinions
> > into the discussion while being completely oblivious to the technology.
> >
> > So, I'll take another opportunity to mention the CIDR FAQ:
> >
> >   http://www.rain.net/faqs/cidr.faq.html
> >
> > I also posted a 'recommended reading list' a few days ago; if someone
> > would like for me to repost it, please speak up. It would be ideal if
> > we could get a web page put together with these pointers to keep the
> > signal/noise ratio on the list somewhat tolerable (pretty far gone for
> > that, I'm afraid).
> >
> > - paul

> > >its easiest to work it backwards:
> > >
> > >/32     1 address
> > >/31     2 addresses
> > >/30     4 addresses
> > >/29     8 addresses
> > >/28    16 addresses
> > >/24   256 addresses (traditional class C)
> > >/16 65536 addresses (traditional class B)  (or a block of 256 traditional
> > >                                            Class C's)
> > >
> > >so 192/8 means the 65536 traditional class C addresses starting at
> > >192.0.1.0 to 192.255.255.0
> > >

> > >your examples would be written as 99.128.51/24
> > >

> > >There are countless materials on this but I suggest looking at an RFC
> > >archive and searching for CIDR.  (Try RFC 1518)

      ________
      \______/                  Jeremiah Kristal
       \____/                   Senior Network Integrator
        \__/                    IDT Internet Services
         \/                     jeremiah at hq.idt.net
                                201-928-4454