ARIN Proposal

The Innkeeper the_innkeeper at sols.net
Mon Jan 20 18:36:32 EST 1997

> The Innkeeper said,
>
> >I will agree very much with this outlook on some folks possibly being
left
> >out because of costing....But then there are many ISPs who attempt to
start
> >up and just cannot make it because of improper planning or
> >forecasting...Being able to plug specific figures into budgeting and
> >forecasts will help the small folks in their initial planning and
hopefully
> >some of our efforts with AOP and the writings we are putting together
will
> >have the ability to work well with what is being proposed in helping all
> >ISPs out there no matter what size...
>
> I think I understand, but I am not sure.  Could you clarify the above?  I
> think you are saying, or thinking about:
>
> Some startup ISPs will fail because of poor forecasting, technical
skills,
> marketing, or just plain bad luck.
>
> Most startup ISPs will not justify a /19, so will not deal directly with
> the registry.  In this case, the concern is that the "big guys" will not
> pass through registry costs that become a bar to entry.  I assume you are
> saying there is no guaranteed right to entry into the ISP market; a
certain
> level of startup costs comes with the territory.
>
> Some startup ISPs may multihome and want provider-independent space, so
> they would be a candidate to deal directly with the registry.  The
proposal
> doesn't really seem to consider this.
>
> Small providers will also need to deal with the registry to get ASNs.
> Costs need to be determined here.

I think I'll send my messages to you before I answer so you can word them
out Howard :-)

One of the concerns (and one we have been looking at very thoroughly within
AOP over the last year) is about small ISPs and how we can better assist
them.  A large concern with us is that this will open it up so that the
"big guys" will be able to use this as a leverage point with some ISPs.
Most starting ISPs should be able to qualify for a /19 if they are starting
up properly, that is not a problem.  The real concern is how we can better
control, via the proposal, when an ISP should deal with ARIN and when they
should attempt to draw out of their Providor pool.  I know that I would
rather deal with a centralized organizating (as I do with DNS0 rather than
deal with multiple organizations.

Thank you very much for the assistance in clarifying this Howard...

Stephan R. May, Sr., Manager, Southeastern Online System Services
                    http://www.sols.net       the_innkeeper at sols.net
Proud member of the Association of Online Professionals Board of Directors
                                        http://www.aop.org