ARIN Proposal

Howard C. Berkowitz hcb at clark.net
Mon Jan 20 18:10:04 EST 1997

The Innkeeper said,

>I will agree very much with this outlook on some folks possibly being left
>out because of costing....But then there are many ISPs who attempt to start
>up and just cannot make it because of improper planning or
>forecasting...Being able to plug specific figures into budgeting and
>forecasts will help the small folks in their initial planning and hopefully
>some of our efforts with AOP and the writings we are putting together will
>have the ability to work well with what is being proposed in helping all
>ISPs out there no matter what size...

I think I understand, but I am not sure.  Could you clarify the above?  I
think you are saying, or thinking about:

Some startup ISPs will fail because of poor forecasting, technical skills,
marketing, or just plain bad luck.

Most startup ISPs will not justify a /19, so will not deal directly with
the registry.  In this case, the concern is that the "big guys" will not
pass through registry costs that become a bar to entry.  I assume you are
saying there is no guaranteed right to entry into the ISP market; a certain
level of startup costs comes with the territory.

Some startup ISPs may multihome and want provider-independent space, so
they would be a candidate to deal directly with the registry.  The proposal
doesn't really seem to consider this.

Small providers will also need to deal with the registry to get ASNs.
Costs need to be determined here.

Howard Berkowitz