Board Structure inappropriate

Jeffrey I. Schiller jis at mit.edu
Mon Jan 20 15:41:23 EST 1997

Here are my comments (for the record):

> The initial Board of Trustees will be selected from those individuals
> who have shown an understanding of the issues and a
> desire to participate in solutions.

I noticed that a previous version of this document claimed that the
Board of Trustees will be selected by NSI. This version removes the
reference to NSI.

Yet, I heard prior to this version that the board had already been
chosen (just not announced to the public yet). So did the board get
disbanded and a new board selected, or is the removal of the reference
to NSI for political correctness but without meaning given the board has
already been chosen. So who chose?

> The trustees whose terms do not expire shall elect successor trustees
> to fill the vacancies.

So we have a self perpetuating board responsible for a public resource.
The initial list of "chosen" is made by a non-public not even published
process. Smells like a Cabal to me. Smells bad.

I had been holding this comment because I heard that a new better
version of the proposal was to come out soon, but I haven't seen it. If
it addresses this issue, great!

                            -Jeff

P.S. I know who one of the board members is, and it is someone I trust
and respect. This is a good sign and I don't mean to disparage the
individuals (who presumably know who they are), particularly since I
don't know who they are (but they have met a few times? Correct?). It is
the process that smells here...