Good intent and somewhat competent

Jeremiah Kristal jeremiah at CORP.IDT.NET
Mon Jan 20 10:56:21 EST 1997

On Sun, 19 Jan 1997, Karl Denninger wrote:

> Well gee, what do you call NETSTAR?
>
> And why, pray tell, did they go on to develop and produce what they did
> (which ASCEND noticed rather quickly)?

I call it a damn good idea that has not proven itself in a production
environment yet.  They also started in  91, began testing in 93, and
introduced the GigaRouter in 94.  I still don't see it in the NAPs, and at
least 2 of the big backbone providers have recently looked into replacing
their backbone gear, but I still don't see them using it.  Raw speed is
one thing, and it's very important, but stability and a robust BGP
implementation are at least as important.
I certainly hope they do well, or at least Ascend's High-Performance
Networking Division does well, but there are faster routers out there,
they just aren't stable enough or don't have good BGP (or any BGP in
some).

Jeremiah

      ________
      \______/                  Jeremiah Kristal
       \____/                   Senior Network Integrator
        \__/                    IDT Internet Services
         \/                     jeremiah at hq.idt.net
                                201-928-4454